Marketing as an individual or company

There are rules you must follow when you are marketing yourself or a company in order to comply with the Real Estate Agents Act 2008.

Required information to display

Under section 121 of the Real Estate Agents Act 2008, the holder of an agent’s licence, whether a company or an individual, must ensure that the required information is displayed at their office and on any signage or advertising material.

Any signs or advertising material used by salespersons or branch managers working for or on behalf of that agent must display that same information.

The required information is:

  • the name of the agent
  • the fact that the agent is licensed under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008
  • the name the business is conducted under if it’s different to the agent’s name.

The Act does not specify what wording should be used, but examples include:

  • for a licensed agent: Jo Smith, licensed under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008
  • for a company: ABC Realty Ltd, licensed under the Real Estate Agents Act 2008.

Licensees with a salesperson's licence can describe themselves as a licensed salesperson (or simply licensee) but not as a licensed agent. It is OK for salespersons to use the term 'agent' in a generic sense because that is the word consumers often use.

Examples for a licensed salesperson:

  • You can say: I am the real estate agent selling this property.
  • You can say: I am a licensed salesperson.
  • You can't say: I am a licensed real estate agent.

It is important to remember that correct spelling, grammar and punctuation are essential to promote a professional image.

Clarification about REA and REAA

Either ‘REA Act’ or ‘REAA 2008’ can be used by licensees to refer to the Real Estate Agents Act 2008 on signage, websites, business cards and any other advertising material.

REA is the Real Estate Authority’s operating name and how we should be referred to.

The Real Estate Agents Authority or REAA is our legal name (and our name before 2018). It is only used for contracts we enter into, in disciplinary decisions from Complaints Assessment Committees and our appearance before the Tribunal or other higher courts.

Where to display the information

The required information must be displayed prominently on all of the following, where they are maintained or produced by (or on behalf of) the agent for the purpose of agency work:

  • Offices or shops.
  • Business websites and social media.
  • Notices, signage and other advertisements.
  • Letters, accounts, contractual documents, agreements and any other documents sent, handed out, entered into, or published in the course of the business.

Was this information helpful?

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.